Thursday, March 3, 2011

Scribble Drawing and Thinking Lightly



 Clarissa Pinkola Estés wrote: In my family there's a saying that is good for those of us who are sensitive... It is, if you listen deeply enough, you will always hear the negative. Sometimes we have to allow people around us not to catch our analytic spirit and just bless down hard on them and then walk on.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how I ‘think’ and how easy it is for me to find the negative, and get caught up in my habitual ways of getting stuck in the drama. I appreciate those who can witness themselves and their life experience with humor, lightness and curiosity. I strive to do that myself and sometimes I succeed.

I have talked before about scribble drawings and how useful they are in Art Therapy. I have created a new art therapy exercise using this technique. Start by doing an attunement or grounding exercise. Move yourself into a state of Presence. Now think about what is bothering you and as you focus on it, start scribbling. When reflecting on the strongest points of irritation, make the scribble line deeper and darker.
Now reflect on what would help you move away from or lighten this area. What would help you feel less attached to these heavy feelings? Often these deep feelings reflect a pattern or habitual way that we react to life. We fear that in certain situations we will lose power, get hurt or shamed. What is the underlying fear that this present situation is triggering? Now create a new scribble drawing still staying with the irritation or problem that you are exploring, but stay lighter on the paper, observing your feelings and slight detachment from your habitual response.
What is different? 
Scribble drawing



5 comments:

Elena said...

Whoa so you have one of 'those' minds too huh? :)
I could have used that scribbling exercise a few days ago but I don't think the paper would have survived. Great post!

Karen Wallace said...

Hello Elena. Great to hear from you. Hugs Karen

The Creative Beast said...

This exercise seems like a good one! I will have to try it out soon...

Catching up on my favorite bloggers as I begin to emerge from my hibernation ;)

Karen Wallace said...

Glad to see you back! Hugs Karen

Angie Wiranata said...

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful posts. much inspired!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive