Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Leaning Into the Positive



Life always gives us choices. In most situations we have the choice to lean into the negative, see what isn’t working, or get stuck in the obstacles. Or we have the choice to lean into the positive or see what is working or feel grateful.

Learning to lean into the positive takes practice because we tend to naturally go into the other direction. So, how do we do this and make it stick?

Art Therapy Exercise For Leaning Into the Positive

We want to change a behavioral pattern. We have to change it on a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual level. The next time you find yourself dwelling on a negative thought, physically lean to the right (whatever side of your body feels right) and say to yourself one positive thing about the situation (even if you don’t believe it or you have to invent it). Next, remember something that makes you feel grateful or happy. Remember to stay leaning towards the right while you have your positive thought and emotion. Now, if you are not already, remind yourself to be present and in the moment. It is as easy as that. We can lean in any direction that we want to with what life throws at us.

4 comments:

nacherluver said...

THank you for this lovely reminder. I have shared your blog address with a neighbor of mine who trying to help her young daughter. I told her how beneficial I believe art therapy would be for her daughter. I'm not aware of any local resources, so I gave her you! I don't always respond to your posts, but I'm always checking in. Thank you for doing what you do.

Karen Wallace said...

Thank you for your comments. Hugs

Elena said...

As always, I love what you have to say. I like that suggestion... leaning to the right. It breaks the cycle of negative thinking with something funny.

Olivia said...

I like this! What a wonderful idea. I will try it out next time :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails