I am not being authentic when I pretend to be indifferent when I am not, when I present myself as more or less than I am, when I laugh when I need to cry, when I fake beliefs to be accepted, when I fake modesty, and when I allow my silence to imply agreement with convictions I do not share.
Here are some basic questions to consider:
1) Am I honest with others about my feelings in contexts where talking about feelings is appropriate?
2) Do I consciously strive to be truthful in communications?
3) Do I talk openly, and straightforwardly about that which I love and enjoy?
4) If I am hurt, angry, or upset, do I talk about this with honesty and dignity?
5) Do I stick up for myself and honour my needs and interests?